Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Quest for Glory Epic Let's Play Part One: Introduction

Background
Hero's Quest (as I originally knew it) came out in 1989 and began what I like to refer to as the second Golden Age of Sierra gaming. It was a 16-color, parser (typing)-based adventure game with several completely new innovations. While there was a main plot, many of the quests could be solved in any order. The map was open except for a few rooms, so you could wander around exploring at will. There were stats, like an RPG, and you had to do a little grinding to raise them. It was possible to skip a good part of the game or screw it up and still "win," although you wouldn't get the total points or get a "good" ending.

The next games in the series were a little more linear - for example, most of them had scripted events that happened on certain days - but still managed to maintain the feel. Even better, you could import your character from previous games into the next one, giving you a great sense of continuity and progression. For the time, this was exceptionally innovative.

For more on the Quest for Glory series, check out:
Wikipedia entry
Legends of Glory fan site
Transolar Games, Lori Ann and Corey Cole's new game company
Hero's Quest intro with MT-32 sound
Game patches for QFG games

The Goals and the Rules of this LP:
1. To make it through all five Quest for Glory games,
2. With 500 points in each game (except for Q4G3 where a bug prevents it),
3. As a Fighter becoming a Paladin,
4. Which we'll get in Quest for Glory 2,
5. So we'll end up with 550/500 points in that game,
6. And record ourselves as we go.
7. Rule 6 may be overlooked if there's a whole lot of grinding going on. This will likely only be a concern in Q4G1.
7a. Instead we do grinding 'montages' with cool soundtracks.

And one other thing: for the first game, I'm using my original copy of Hero's Quest. Yes, I'm aware there is a VGA remake. Yes, I'm aware the combat in the remake is way better. I don't care. Here's my explanation why, from the SA thread announcing the beta of the Q4G2 remake, which got my off my kiester to do the LP:
    [I'm not a fan of the remake because..] [t]he claymation faces, the redesign of some of the backgrounds. Mostly they seem to have re-used a lot of the color palettes from Quest for Glory 3, giving it a very brownish / washed out look. My memories of Quest for Glory and Spielburg valley are of a very bright place, with white snow, new and very green grass, and brightly colored flowers matching the springtime setting of the game....

    Maybe it has something to do with memory and expectation for me. Hero's Quest is a game I played at a really formative stage in my life, when I was in the fifth or sixth grade and I realized that games could have a great narrative, logical puzzles, and incorporate other fun elements like RPGs all into one. I liked the optimism of the game, the focus on being a hero and doing good. In fact, I can point to Hero's Quest as one of the most formative elements of my choice of career and my writing, and the happy instances when those two things come together. All of that was reflected in the choice of colors and art style of the game. I realize that they were limited by 16-color graphics and they look more cartoony, while the remake is more realistic and that's fine. But the hyperrealism of the original is a very distinct part of my memories of the game as well.

    I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone - just explain why I prefer the [EGA] to the [VGA] version.
For the others, I'll be using my Quest for Glory Anthology CD (vee kan play auf Deutsch!) and my copy of Quest for Glory 5. I've got the disc versions of I-III, but never bought IV. I'll see if I can get the talkie version of IV working; if not, we'll do the text one. I haven't fiddled around with DOSBox enough to confidently say I can run IV talkie, but I know I can do IV with text.

Also - I can play through most of I and II by memory (actually, all of I by memory) so I'll only be using FAQs for III and IV. Sadly the maps for I and II are probably permanently embedded in by brain. I'd like to think that's an indication of a youth well spent, but it's more likely an indication of a wasted adolescence.

Before We Start
From the Famous Adventurer's Correspondence School book (AKA the Hero's Quest manual):
    So you want to be a Hero...
    Take this simple one minute test to see if you have the 'right stuff' to become a student of the Famous Adventurers' Correspondence School for Heroes:
    You are having dinner with a powerful and influential Wizard and he starts to make rude remarks about 'Muscle-brained adventurers'. Do you:
    A. Kill the Wizard and upset the magical balance of the entire universe by breaking his spell preventing the eruption of the volcano that then spews lava over the peaceful nearby town.
    B. Ignore his remarks and pass the salt
    You'd be surprised how many would be Heroes choose option A. But here at the Famous Adventurers' Correspondence School for Heroes, we know that the correct response, is of course, C. You, too, can become a useful and productive member of the Hero community by taking this simple course in 'How to be a Hero'.

    What is a Hero?
    Hero is the title for which all adventurers strive. A hero must be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. Be he (or she) fighter or wizard thief or man (or woman) about town; he (or she) is the desire of all women and the envy of all men (or perhaps the other way around).

    How do I become a Hero?
    To become a Hero, you must first become an adventurer. Adventurers are most often Fighters, Magic Users, and Thieves.

    The Adventurer's Guild
    Meeting Hall and employment agency for all would-be heroes, the Adventurer's Guild will become your home away from home. This is where you go to have your exploits recorded in the log and to boast with your peers. You can obtain information about who's who in the local area.

    The bulletin board is a good place to find out about jobs available and what rewards are posted. Be sure to check out the bulletin board in the Guild hall nearest you for announcements that could further your career.

    There is an Adventurer's Guild in nearly every major town just waiting for you to sign in and be counted among the ranks as a 'real' adventurer.
And specifically relevant to our Let's Play:
    How do I become a Fighter?
    To become a fighter, you must begin by developing your strength and skill with weapons. Your sword will become your right hand (assuming, of course, you are right-handed). Your shield is your lifeguard that plunges before you to interpose itself between you and the wave of horrible, slavering monsters. Physical labor becomes a pleasure, for every ache and pain will remind you of those hard-earned muscles. Encounter each enemy with exuberance, for the experience will be exhilarating as long as it doesn't exterminate you.

    How do I fight?
    If one wishes to become a fighter, it is wise to obtain a sword and shield at the earliest opportunity. We do not recommend unarmed combat against a monster, as you can be 'dis'-armed rapidly.

    Basic sword work consists of the thrust and swing. The thrust is the deft skewer of the opponent's mid-section, quick and to the point with a minimum of mess. The swing, on the other hand, is a slicing motion designed to release as much of the opponent's interior components as possible. While the swing inflicts more damage, the thrust is quicker. Preference is a matter of personal taste and whether or not you have a strong stomach.

    Defense largely depends upon the use of the dodge, block, and parry. While there are those who believe that 'real' fighters do not need such wimpy defensive techniques, most surviving Heroes attest to their effectiveness. Trying to defeat a monster while ignoring the basic defenses usually results in ex-heroes.

    Dodge, in theory, is moving out of range of the opponent's weapon. Your agility is a major factor in how well you manage this.

    Block is placing the shield between you and the attack designed to lead you to an untimely demise.

    Parry is using your sword to prevent the foe's weapon from similarly cleaving your skull. Quick reflexes and practice make block and parry into true lifesavers.
The Introduction

With much fanfare, our hero is introduced, the credits roll, and we need to decide a name for this hero:

YouTube version, no subtitles:



Overstream, Subtitles:

No comments: