Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Blog Policies

Welcome to Classic Let's Play! I started this blog as a place to keep a (semi)-permanent record of the Let's Play threads I've been doing on Something Awful. Yup, LP is leaking once again.

Mission Statement
So here's the deal, Neal: this blog exists as a repository for video Let's Play material I've created and its accompanying commentary. Specifically, I play the classics - PC games from the earliest eras of computer gaming (1979) until the end of the golden era of adventure gaming (approximately 1996 or 1997.)

My policies:
  • I only play games I own a legal copy of, or games that have been released into the public domain.

  • All of the material in the game is copyright of its respective owners and is being used for entertainment purposes only. If you're a legal type and don't like me taking videos of your company's IP and posting them online, no problem - just let me know. I'll probably think you're a humorless jerk but you're a lawyer so I'm sure you're used to it by now, and I'll comply with you anyway.

  • My focus is on adventure games, specifically Sierra and Lucasarts adventure games. Depending on how long I keep this up I may move into other genres. A LP of Bard's Tale would be kind of fun.

  • What's a Let's Play? Glad you asked. It's when someone (me) plays a video game and takes screenshots or videos of what he or she is doing and puts them online with commentary that explains what is going on, is witty, or is in some other way relevant.

  • Why would anyone want to watch me play video games? I don't know, but people do.

  • Why would I want to create LP videos? It's actually a lot of fun playing through these games again and it turns out I know a lot more about them than I thought - plus playing with people watching and offering advice has helped me discover things I never knew about these oldies.

  • No, I will not send you copies of the games here.

  • No, I will not send you copies of the games here.

  • Want to get in touch with me? Leave a comment or drop me a line at jmical{at}gmail.com or classisletsplay{at}googlemail.com. Use the first one if you want a faster reply.

  • Yes, I know I misspelled 'Classic' when I applied for that second email address. Think of it as some kind of ironic meta-joke.

  • The spirit of this blog is to introduce people to new (old) games they might not have heard of before, or written them off. I'll bury my own pretensions about preserving the memories of these games - instead, I'll say that I'm trying to capture the feeling of playing adventure games when story mattered as much as substance.

  • I use the following tools: a Toshiba laptop, DOSBox, and D-Fend Reloaded. What little video processing I do is done in Virtual Dub or MediaCoder, the former for merging AVI files and the later for the occasional retouch. I have a Roland MT-32 module and record MIDI sounds using Audacity. Screencaptures are resized using Advanced Batch Converter and montage videos are created with Pinnacle Studio 10.

  • Most of the text you see here is verbatim copy-and-paste from the Something Awful Forums where this material first appeared. In a few instances I may alter the textual commentary to make sense outside of SA.

  • No, I will not send you copies of the games here. Seriously. Find your own. They're pretty easy to buy on eBay.
PR Policies
I only wish to be contacted by PR professionals if you have something that would genuinely interest me the capacity of this particular hobby (playing classic games, making videos about them, and posting about it online.) If you want to contact me about something else - don't. I am a Digital PR professional in my 'real life' and I understand how hard your job is, but I also know how to make you instantly sorry if you don't abide by this policy. Consider this a fair warning.

No comments: